Thursday, April 16, 2009

Telling Stories


Jack is really into telling stories these days. Well, it is more like verbally and physically (with lots of props of course) re-enacting various movies. You can hear various lines from the movies, be informed of where he is at in the story, and get in big trouble if you disrupt the props as they are in play in the story. Oh and also be told "no mommy, not yet, I need to finish my story 1st!" It's so cute to see his imagination at play... (hmm speaking of which we didn't have a lion toy so he used a yellow block instead, per daddy's suggestion. I actually found a little bath tub cut out lion a couple days later and suggested he use that. He was quite disturbed at the possibility of 2 lions and that "no mommy this (holding said yellow block in my face) THIS is the lion." Did I mention that he's imaginative and yet quite set in his ways?)

Anyway, story time has been in full force lately. It's great because he'll just get caught up in it, no tv, and no interaction generally needed from adults. Well today I overheard the full version of the CARS movie... seriously he went on for 45 minutes doing his story, moving his props around, etc. And then Nemo... (glad he skips over that 1st scene, which last week when we watched the movie he did ask "Mommy what happened to that other fish? The mommy fish?") Anyway we had school today but the WHOLE time we were home he seriously just did stories... no tv all day! He did check in with me at one point to confirm a few lines from the Cars movie, LOL, but other than that he was caught up in his story world. LOVE IT! What a great day!


Hmm... well I think I'll also add a couple more things that happened today just to keep the record straight. Today I was told by Jack "No not your way, my way!" With his arms folded emphatically across his chest. (Not sure where he heard that from, honestly... though there have been a few other things said lately that sound familiar. Twice this week I've heard my lecture to him about "listening" spouted back at daddy later in the evening. I'm not sure who got a worse tongue lashing, Jack (in the AM by mommy) or daddy (in the PM) by Jackie. Either way it made me giggle in the kitchen when I heard daddy gettin' it...). And back to today, there was also a bit of a crying fit at the lunch table and as we were leaving the park (of course). But other than that... a really nice day. Oh and now... he's napping! YAY! A nap for the 1st time in over 5 days! I think Baby Joey and I will go join him.

3 comments:

Angela said...

Ooh, he NAPPED!!! That is awesome. :)

I love the story thing. Do you have a video camera? You totally need to videotape him secretly so you can remember this.

Christia said...

Yay for a nap. I seriously loathe no nap days. And I too love days where we don't do tv and just play all day!

Heather said...

I love the stories he tells! It sounds like he has a great imagination and memory. They're a lot of fun at this age, when they're not pushing buttons!